This month, our Bootcamp brief was Jelly. Drawing lots of jelly, things associated with jelly, then using these motifs to design bolt fabric.
It started off fun, then got tough. The thing is I really have an aversion to novelty food fabric, so all I could envisage was this kind of thing. As I was drawing and making I could see some nice things happening, but they were more the abstract shapes coming from disassembling my drawings of jelly and pineapple rings, than the actual jelly design itself. But I knew I had to stick to the brief, so the jelly had to stay in. After much faffing I'm pleased with the result. I added some ice cream, iced gems and fruit and some of my more abstract shapes and it ended up working.
When that was done I got to work on what I really wanted to do and that was make a pattern out of the disassembled abstract shapes. I tossed out the jelly, the iced gems became more like jelly fish and and the pineapple rings became sea anemones.
I much prefer this pattern. My little tagline 'Breaking down the detail into shape and colour and pattern' is so true. I'm not so good at literal.
So then I noticed how the pineapple rings and the upside-down iced gems could be flowers too, so I played some more and worked on a print with my very favourite shapes, and that became Seaflower.
This course is rocking my world! I highly recommend it :-)